Position: Mechanical Engineer
Reports To: Design Manager
This person will work in the Engineering department Design Group designing components, subsystems, and systems for the aircraft. Candidate will be responsible for coordinating efforts on large design projects as well as supporting vendor projects, various certification programs, and current production. Candidate will report to the Design Manager and work with the other Engineering groups.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Product Changes:
Make minor changes (including E.O.’s or drawing revisions, if necessary) as required to correct design issues raised by vendors, Production, Test, or the Production Liaisons. These changes must be coordinated through the Engineering system for proper release to the FAA, as required. Coordinate and support the certification efforts of major changes through the Engineering system for proper release to the FAA, as required.
- Component/System Design:
Design components, systems, and subsystems for the helicopter. This includes initial design and oversight of the detail or final design of the components and parts. The integration may include working with other engineering departments to generate the necessary Type Design information, including technical manuals (mechanical systems material within the maintenance manuals and flight manuals).
- DCR Incorporation:
Research and incorporate DCR’s (Drawing Change Requests) as appropriate. These changes must be coordinated through the Engineering system for proper release to the FAA, as required.
- Engineering Liaison Support
Research of mechanically or structurally related production issues (including purchased items) or field related service issues, as required. Investigate issues, develop solutions, and determine impacts on short-term and long-term production and field support needs. Incorporate changes into designs when needed. Work with vendors on purchased items to resolve similar issues.
- Structural Analysis:
Perform basic structural analysis as required to support the design duties, as well as the general Engineering effort on an “as needed” basis.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A basic or advanced understanding of aircraft structure and mechanical systems.
- A basic or advanced understanding of sheet metal, welding, machining, and fiberglass manufacturing and assembly procedures.
- A basic or advanced understanding of FAA rules, regulations, and certification processes.
- CAD skills required; SolidWorks preferred.
- Basic structural analysis skills.
- Basic or advanced computer skills (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint at a minimum).
- Superior problem solving skills.
- An ability to work with people.
- An ability to work multiple projects and multi-task.
- A Degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering.
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) is desirable.