Ground Test Engineer
Reports To: Experimental Manager (or VP of Engineering)
Responsible for specific discrete tasks covering all aspects of Ground Testing helicopter components and systems. – Requires application of all Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering disciplines to a wide variety of technical problems. – – Ground Test Engineers are responsible for final conclusions and recommendations on the performance, safety, qualification, and adequacy of tested components and systems. – This process may involve test and evaluation of components, assemblies and systems including main and tail rotor dynamic components, rotor drive systems, flight control systems, fuel systems, hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, mission equipment, and airframe structure. – Test programs typically involve full scale fatigue and static evaluations of dynamic components, main and tail rotor whirl tests, airframe static tests, airframe shake tests, dynamic stability, component testing, and the evaluation of aircraft system level performance prior to flight.
Duties include but are not limited to the following;
- Detailed test planning, coordination with internal and external customers, test conduct, use of computer data analysis tools, and generation of test plans and reports.
- The development and implementation of test procedures used to validate the performance of installed aircraft systems and components during final assembly, supporting and establishing operating limitations for both flight test programs and fielded aircraft, and oversight of supplier performed component qualification efforts.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The candidate should possess the following:
- Basic or advanced understanding of rotorcraft structure, dynamics, and aerodynamics.
- Basic understanding of aircraft structure.
- Basic or advanced understanding of test instrumentation and test equipment, including data acquisition systems.
- Basic understanding of sheet metal, welding, machining, and fiberglass manufacturing and assembly procedures.
- Basic or advanced computer skills, including LabVIEW
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to work with people.
- A BS Degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering.
- Basic or more advanced CAD skills are highly desirable.